Monday, November 24, 2008
Sunday
Yesterday was pre-Thanksgiving for us. Our church had Friendship Day, which is one of the biggest days of the year for the church. We invite all kinds of extra people. Our church service included more special music than normal, which I love. After the service we had a Thanksgiving dinner that church members had contributed food for, but a group of people, including me, cook and serve. It was a delicious dinner and I got so full! It does get a little crazy, but I like serving and enjoy the whole event. After dinner, we have the major fundraiser for the year for the youth group. It is a pie auction. People bring pies and we sell them for outrageous amounts. Yesterday we had more pies than normal, around 40 I think, so we used some for dessert, some were sold at a flat rate, some were part of a silent auction, and the rest were sold at the regular auction. The highest amount for one pie yesterday was $110 I think, but in the past we've gone up to $200. The fun of it is in bidding against the people you are friends with in the church. Yesterday my boys were bidding against each other, which was completely silly since we all know what comes to our house gets shared. Then MJ, the oldest, was bidding on a pie that I wanted so M takes the bids from $45 to $75 and MJ upped his bid! So MJ paid $77.50 for the pie I wanted - a pumpkin turtle (a sort of pumpkin cream with caramel and nuts in it - delicious!!). I think we're going to pay for half that pie. M's mom came up and brought some pies for the event including a chocolate pecan that we got one of. We were exhausted after all that at church so came home and just sat around. My parents joined us and we all ate more pie. It was so good. A very good day over all and I'm ready for another Thanksgiving this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment